Re: rendering HTML: how to disable

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: rendering HTML: how to disable
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 13:07:31 +0100

Adam writes:

> Mike writes:

>> Hi Adam, shr apparently fetches images by default.

> Not in Gnus on my machine.

... for email.

For news, images are fetched automatically - for instance:
<87wq6crjn4.fsf@topper.koldfront.dk> in gmane.test.

Let's dig a little further...

This is controlled by the variable gnus-blocked-images:

,----[ C-h v gnus-blocked-images RET ]
| gnus-blocked-images is a variable defined in `gnus-art.el'.
| Its value is gnus-block-private-groups
|
| Documentation:
| Images that have URLs matching this regexp will be blocked.
| This can also be a function to be evaluated.  If so, it will be
| called with the group name as the parameter, and should return a
| regexp.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
| version 24.1 of Emacs.
`----

The default is to block images defined by gnus-block-private-groups,
which blocks anything but newsgroups:

,----
| (defun gnus-block-private-groups (group)
|   (if (or (gnus-news-group-p group)
|         (gnus-member-of-valid 'global group))
|       ;; Block nothing in news groups.
|       nil
|     ;; Block everything anywhere else.
|     "."))
`----

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "I'm not a monster, well, technically I am"                  Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk