Re: Location of .gnus init file

From: btraven
Subject: Re: Location of .gnus init file
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 02:33:56 -0600

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> eminmn@sysmatrix.net (Ed C.) writes:
>
>> Question: Why does sort not work on articles when thread view is
>> toggled off?
>
> There are two separate sorting variables in Gnus, one for threads
> (`gnus-thread-sort-functions'), one for articles
> (`gnus-article-sort-functions').
>
> Probably, you've only customized the former to your likings.
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo

Okay now I think I know what's going on but I had to move my .gnus out
of gnus-init-file directory because something in it was causing pop3
retrieval of about 11000 kb of something (probably all my news server's
headers each time I invoked gnus. Now in .emacs in custom-set-variabel
paragraph I have this:

 '(gnus-article-sort-functions (quote ((not gnus-article-sort-by-date))))
 '(gnus-check-new-newsgroups nil)
 '(gnus-default-directory "c:\\emacs\\gnus")
 '(gnus-directory "c:\\gnus/News/")
 '(gnus-dribble-directory "c:\\emacs\\gnus")
 '(gnus-home-directory "c:\\emacs")
 '(gnus-read-active-file nil)
 '(gnus-save-all-headers nil)
 '(gnus-select-method (quote (nntp "news.newsguy.com")))
 '(gnus-thread-sort-functions (quote ((not gnus-thread-sort-by-date))))

I assume I can eventually move all these to my .gnus by stripping tic to
left of open paren and inserting setq to right, correct?

After screwing things up I now have on the last line of *Group* buffer
U   0:*gnu.emacs.gnus in unbolded font. How do I normalize that group
so that it is bolded font and with the number of all messages?

Thanks,

Ed