Re: newbie spam filtering with gnus

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: newbie spam filtering with gnus
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2015 00:53:36 +0200

Enrico Schumann <es@enricoschumann.net> writes:

> When I used POP some years ago, what worked out of
> the box for me was using SpamAssassin as an external
> programme (spamc) during splitting, as described in
> the manual:

I also use POP and I don't get that many spams: those
I get I am able to KILL which is helpful as they do
come back [1].

Are you saying POP compared to IMAP is more
susceptible to spam? Those are protocols that deal
with the client fetch of mail from the server.

IMAP is more advanced, and so more complicated, but
I always thought them to be mere protocols - defining
the message syntax as well as the order and meaning of
exchanges (e.g., handshakes and so on) in different
situations, with no implications as to anti-spam.

Or do you mean that particular methods, e.g.
SpamAssassin which you mention, only works with POP?

If you get a lot of spam, perhaps it is easier and
more efficient to just get a new e-mail address which
is a bit unintuitive and which you never submit to web
services or publish verbatim on pages or in mails?

For example, I always mention my address as

    embe8573 AT&T student DOS uu DOS se

I don't know if that is clever but considering I have
a home page with that handle and that all addresses
are constructed according to that pattern, and besides
the amount of communication and the width of my public
interface, I'd say something must be working as again,
I don't get much spam.

[1] http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/gnus/lamer.el

--
underground experts united