Re: Mail layout and fonts

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Mail layout and fonts
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 18:39:47 +0200

invalid <address@is.invalid> writes:

> I've been working in IT since it was called DP

= data processing (when was that :))

> and before there were things like email or HTML.
> Since the first sad day HTML was used in email
> I have never had anybody complain about me
> responding to HTML email with a text email. If I had
> to guess I would bet this is because the people who
> use HTML emailers are too dumb to have any idea what
> they're doing and are also incapable of detecting
> whether some piece of mail they get is in ASCII text
> form or not.

Indeed. There was a time when there was such an
enthusiasm for the web some people suddenly though
*everything* should be like the web. HTML in mails is
in line (pun) with that.

I think the web is great as its original idea with
mostly hypertext with the occasional multimedia item
where there is a clear purpose, e.g. links to animal
sounds if it is a page about wildlife so you can learn
to distinguish an elk from a red deer, etc. - other
than that, the web shouldn't look like computer games,
computer games shouldn't look like the web, and so on.

> Furthermore nobody has complained that I try to post
> inline or bottom post although I occasionally do
> top-post on short replies.

I have complained a couple of times when people don't
do inline but it only computer people I tell this
because then it looks bad if they don't do it.
For "civilians" I can't say I care but in terms of how
difficult it is (isn't) of course anyone could learn
to do it.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573