New local network newserver very slow to connect with gnus

From: Robert Marshall
Subject: New local network newserver very slow to connect with gnus
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2015 19:08:31 +0100

Recently I decided to upgrade / replace the machine I use as a local
newsserver (running leafnode), I moved the news spool onto the new
machine (so everything was the same) got rid of old machine and set the
new machine with the same name and ip address as the old.

gnus seems happy with this, new articles appear as new, old articles can
be retrieved/searched :-) The one problem is when the connection closes
due to a timeout, re-opening the connection with gnus-group-get-new-news
takes around 10 seconds before the connection is made. There was no such
delay with the old machine and telnet hostname 119 from an xterm with the
new machine is also instant (as is the pan newsreader)

I've poked around ~/News and can't see anything looking like a relic of
the old machines fingerprint, is there anything elsewhere I need to
refresh?

I'm using gnus-select-method '(nntp "hostname") ..

If I go to the server buffer and manually close and reopen the nntp
connection there's a similar delay on open.

Robert
--
La grenouille songe..dans son château d'eau