Re: Trouble setting up Gnus + OfflineIMAP + dovecot

From: Lluís Vilanova
Subject: Re: Trouble setting up Gnus + OfflineIMAP + dovecot
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 16:02:39 +0200

Julien Cubizolles writes:

> Following the examples provided on this list, I've setup Gnus to use a
> maildir populated by OfflineIMAP as follows:

> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>       '(
>       (nnimap "FreeOffline"
>               (nnimap-stream shell)
>               (nnimap-shell-program "/usr/lib/dovecot/imap -o
> mail_location=maildir:$HOME/Maildir-free")
>               )
>       (nnimap "GmailOffline"
>               (nnimap-stream shell)
>               (nnimap-shell-program "/usr/lib/dovecot/imap -o
> mail_location=maildir:$HOME/Maildir-gmail")
>               )
> ))

I use a configuration file for dovecot:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnimap "FreeOffline"
                (nnimap-stream shell)
                (nnimap-shell-program "/usr/lib/dovecot/imap -c
~/.dovecot-free")))

With the following contents:

  protocols = imap
  log_timestamp = "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S "
  mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir/free
  protocol imap {
    mail_plugins = fts fts_lucene
  }
  plugin {
    fts = lucene
    fts_lucene = whitespace_chars=@
    fts_autoindex = yes
  }

I vaguely remember having to switch from "-o" to "-c" for some reason I cannot
recall. If that does not work, I'd say the problem might be in your offlineimap
configuration. Did you check the contents of your "Maildir-free" directory?

As a side question, does anybody have performance problems with this setup?
(on-demand dovecot process) I was wondering if having an always-running daemon
with all my mail accounts would be faster (although I don't know how to do
that).

Cheers,
  Lluis

Tollbooth