Re: multi-email gnus setup questions

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: multi-email gnus setup questions
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 10:11:39 +0800

Benjamin Slade <slade@jnanam.net> writes:

>> `nnmail-expiry-targets' isn't a server variable, just a regular
>> variable. Also, there's no `nnimap-expiry-targets', and
>> `nnmail-fancy-expiry-targets' only lets you base expiration on group
>> names, not backends. Here's what I do (outside of the server
>> definition):
>>
>> (setq nnmail-expiry-target 'my-expire-gmail-imap-message)
>>
>> (defun my-expire-gmail-imap-message (group)
>>   "In gmail-based imap groups, expiry should happen by moving the
>>   message to the corresponding [Gmail]/Trash folder."
>>   (if (string-match "nnimap\\+\\(several\\|gmail\\|backends\\):" group)
>>     (format "nnimap+%s:[Gmail]/Trash" (match-string 1 group))
>>   'delete))
>>
>> That expires everything in a Gmail imap account to the corresponding
>> [Gmail]/Trash folder.
>
> Hmm.. ok, so outside of the server definition, just in the main .gnus.el
> fail (not in the scope of anything else), I've tried putting:
>
> (setq nnmail-expiry-target 'my-expire-gmail-imap-message)
> (defun my-expire-gmail-imap-message (group)
>   "In gmail-based imap groups, expiry should happen by moving the
>   message to the corresponding [Gmail]/Bin folder."
>   (if (string-match "nnimap\\+\\(homemail\\|workmail\\|funmail\\):" group)
>     (format "nnimap+%s:[Gmail]\Bin" (match-string 1 group))
>   'delete))
>
> [So in my Gnus groups, I see things like:
>
> 3:nnimap+homemail:INBOX
> 7:nnimap+homemail:Madness
> 9:nnimap+workmail:INBOX
>
> etc.
>
> And my Gmail boxes are [Gmail]/Bin rather than [Gmail]/Trash]
>
> The resulting behaviour, when I open up the Gmail webclient, that the
> deleted message indeed disappears from the Inbox, but does not appear in
> the [Gmail]/Bin directory. (I.e., as far as I can, it must just be
> matching the 'delete rule).
>
> I've also tried setting (setq nnmail-expiry-wait 'immediate), but that
> doesn't seem to make a difference.
>
> Finally, I also tried changing the regex to:
>
> nnimap\\+\\(homemail\\|workmail\\|funmail\\):.*
>
> but that also doesn't work.
>
> Any ideas where something could be going wrong?

I think it's probably edebug time. Try instrumenting the
my-expire-gmail-imap-message function, and maybe, for good measure,
gnus-group-expire-articles-1 as well. Expire some articles, and step
through the functions, and just see what's going on. My guess is it will
become clear pretty quickly what's going wrong. I hope!