Re: Imap ordering

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Imap ordering
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 19:18:44 +0800

On 01/29/16 04:23 AM, Pietro wrote:

>> Pietro <pulsarpietro@posteo.net> writes:
>>
>>> Hi everybody,
>>>
>>> I am using Gnus with my IMAP email account but I am having issues with
>>> the ordering in which the email are shown on the screen, I haven't
>>> configured anything about the ordering - neither threads nor articles.
>>>
>>> Basically the oder now what I would expect: the most recently received
>>> first, or cronological order to put it in other terms, oddly enough the
>>> order seems to be perfectly fine for the newsgroup I have subscrived,
>>> i.e gmane.emacs.gnus.user.
>>
>> Can you tell us more precisely what you're seeing, vs. what you're
>> expecting to see? By "most recently received first" do you meant the
>> most recent at the bottom, or the top? We make no assumptions here!
>>
>> Then it would be good to see your values for `gnus-show-threads',
>> `gnus-thread-sort-functions', and `gnus-article-sort-functions'.
>>
>> Yrs,
>> Eric
>
> Hi Eric,
>
> Well it is hard to tell really, it just looks random. It looks like the
> most recent ones are at the top, but among them there are some very old
> emails, I am talking about one or two years old.
>
> I haven't configured anything manually so values should be set at their
> default, is there a way to print them out so we can check ?
>
> Is it required to specify something in the configuration file to have
> some sort of ordering ?
>
> I would like to have the same ordering a regular email reader as Outlook
> or Gmail provides, chronologically order.

Don't forget to copy to the list! Use "F" instead of "R" in Gnus.

So this might be a little difficult. First, and most useful for you, you
can see both the value and the docstring for Emacs variables by typing
"C-h v", then the name of the variable, and RET. That will show you what
you've got.

If you haven't changed the defaults, then `gnus-show-threads' should be
"t", and `gnus-sort-thread-functions' should be
(gnus-thread-sort-by-number).

In Gnus, that means you will see the newest messages at the *bottom* of
the Summary buffer, and it also means that you won't see read messages
at all.

So when you say you're seeing two-year-old messages, I wonder if you're
seeing them simply because they're unread? If they're read, they
shouldn't show up at all.

We still need more information!

Yours,
Eric