Re: nnimap woes after debian upgrade

From: Pierfrancesco Caci
Subject: Re: nnimap woes after debian upgrade
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 14:19:54 +0100

Hi Eric,

    Eric> Pierfrancesco Caci <pf@tippete.net> writes:
    >> Hello,
    >> yesterday I upgraded my system from debian wheezy to jessie.
    >> I'm having some difficulties getting gnus to work as before.
    >>
    >> Here is what I had configured before the upgrade:
    >>
    >> '(gnus-secondary-select-methods
    >> (quote (
    >> (nnimap "localhost" (nnimap-stream ssl))
    >> (nnimap "pf-tippete" (nnimap-address my\.imapserver\.it)
    >> (nnimap-stream ssl)
    >> (nnimap-expunge-on-close always)))))
    >>
    >> So, first problem, I couldn't access localhost anymore. A bit of
    >> fiddling led me to:
    >>
    >> ((nnimap "localhost"
    >> (nnimap-stream network))

    Eric> I don't actually know if that "localhost" is supposed to be
    Eric> interpreted
    Eric> as an actual address, but the standard way of doing that would look
    Eric> like:

    Eric> (nnimap "decorative server name"
    Eric>   (nnimap-address "localhost")
    Eric>   (nnimap-stream network)
    Eric>   (nnimap-authenticator login)
    Eric>   (nnimap-user "your@user.name"))

    Eric> I don't know how you have your dovecot set up, so maybe authentication
    Eric> will work differently for you, but I don't know how dovecot would know
    Eric> what user you want to log in as without the nnimap-user clause
    Eric> in there.

I'm rereading the manual as you suggest below, and from that, and also
from the fact that it was working before with the very basic config, I
understand that (nnimap "somename") attemtps to use somename as a
hostname, unless there's something specified with
nnimap-address. I also notice that this version of gnus has added an
entry in .authinfo for localhost, which was not present before.
I suspect something changed in how dovecot presents the folders, and
that's why I'm seeing subdirectories that weren't previously treated a
imap folders. I need to dig into dovecot config and find what has
happened.

    Eric> [...]

    >> The second problem is that I can't access the remote server anymore, I
    >> get this error:
    >>
    >> Opening connection to my.imapserver.it via tls...
    >> Unable to open server nnimap+pf-tippete due to: Wrong type argument:
    >> stringp, my\.imapserver\.it
    >> Opening nnimap server on pf-tippete...failed:
    >> No new newsgroups

    Eric> The error message says it all: change my\.imapserver\.it to the string
    Eric> "my.imapserver.it" and you should be fine.

I've tried this by changing the variable from inside emacs
configuration. I still get the escapes back when I save.

Interestingly, I can access the server fine if I "browse remote server"
and enter the required info manually

    Eric> If the upgrade is taking you through several new versions of
    Eric> Gnus, it's
    Eric> probably worth going back to the Gnus manual and reading the
    Eric> section on
    Eric> IMAP again, just to make sure you've got everything right.

This is "the" manual, right? http://www.gnus.org/manual/big-gnus.html

Pf

--
Pierfrancesco Caci, ik5pvx