Citation processing in HTML articles?

From: Dave Abrahams
Subject: Citation processing in HTML articles?
Date: Sun, 15 May 2016 23:23:26 -0700

I have come to rely on Gnus' syntax coloring and most especially its
ability to hide long stretches of cited text (nobody prunes their
messages anymore).  But I also deal with lots of messages that only
format well when rendered as HTML, and AFAICT there's no way to get
gnus-cite to interoperate with shr or w3m, which often leaves me
scrolling through huge blobs of cited text hoping I don't miss the one-
or two-line response.  Does anybody have a solution for this?

FWIW, the HTML email tends to use

for each level of citation.

Thanks!

--