Re: how to set gnus authinfo file

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: how to set gnus authinfo file
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2016 10:17:50 +0200

>> Ha, this is my idead: since `authinfo.gpg' is only for Gnus mail
>> authentication, why not put it under emacs directory? File under
>> home (~/.authinfo.gpg) should be used for the whole user
>> account. Is this reasonable?
>
> Do any other programs use ~/.authinfo.gpg?

I think so.

,----[ (info "(auth)Overview") ]
| The auth-source library is simply a way for Emacs and Gnus, among
|                                                             ^^^^^
| others, to answer the old burning question “What are my user name and
| ^^^^^^
| password?”
`----

And looking at my ~/.authinfo.gpg, I have at least two entries which are
not mail servers although I cannot remember why I've put them there.
One of them is the old Gnus git repository, so maybe Magit/VC are able
to read credentials there when pushing?

Bye,
Tassilo