Gnus crashes when opening large (>20M) messages in an IMAP group

From: Arkady Grudzinsky
Subject: Gnus crashes when opening large (>20M) messages in an IMAP group
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 15:45:50 -0700

Hi, I'm using Gnus with Gmail using the IMAP backend.  I have
noticed that when someone sends me a message with large
attachments (>20M), Gnus freezes complaining about insufficient
memory.

Gnus manages to freeze the whole system: I cannot even close the
emacs frame, and mouse becomes unresponsive.

Has anyone experienced this? With computer memory in gigabytes,
complaining about a 20M message sounds strange.

--
Arkady