Re: on automatic gnus-summary-insert-new-articles after posting

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: on automatic gnus-summary-insert-new-articles after posting
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2018 23:52:55 -0700

Robert Girault <r@dev.null> writes:

[...]

> This brings me to a point I've been trying to set up Gnus for. I'd like
> to keep, for a while, a history of everything I wrote. Saving messages
> locally isn't good enough because the context is gone. The context is
> the thread.
>
> When I enter a group, I feel lost. I think it's slrn that I've used in
> the past. When I'd enter a news group, I'd have a clear idea of what's
> happening---which threads are growing and which are not.

I looked up slrn, and interestingly the author seemed to have written it
because he found Gnus too slow!

I don't know how slrn does it, so I don't know exactly what effect
you're after. Are you using threading? I've got `gnus-show-threads' set
to t and `gnus-fetch-old-headers' set to 'some, and that shows me just
as much context as I want.

> Also, my way of working is to write articles, but only post them after
> I've reviewed them. I haven't yet acquired skills enough to do that
> with Gnus.
>
> I know it's possible to save them as drafts and send them later, but I'd
> like to distinguish between partially written messages from messages
> queued for delivery.

You can use the agent for this. When you're finished with a message, hit
"C-c C-j" (gnus-delay-article), and you can choose a future date at
which the message will send. It won't actually send at that date unless
you run the `gnus-delay-send-queue' command in the *Group* buffer. That
might do what you want, though I don't know how easy it is to edit
messages once you've added them to the queue.

> I've read An Introduction to Emacs Lisp and I really liked it. I wish
> there was a book on Gnus.  I'm very grateful for the Gnus manual, but I
> confess that, whenever I stop to read it, I try to make the things it
> advertises happen, but I fail to do so a good number of the times.  So
> I'm always thinking that I need some sort of education that I don't have
> in order to read the manual properly.  Has anyone ever written a book on
> Gnus?

Pretty sure not!

Eric