Re: Maybe a bug after df89d6d6dc429e638e425536d1c201b5373f2abd

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Maybe a bug after df89d6d6dc429e638e425536d1c201b5373f2abd
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2019 01:50:17 +0100

Garjola Dindi <garjola@garjola.net> writes:

> I have a strange behaviour with recent versions of gnus (in emacs
> master and branch emacs-27).
>
> When I try to subscribe to a group in the *Browse server buffer*, all
> groups appear with the ’K’ mark and the subscribe command ’u’ does not
> subscribe (the ’K’ still appears and the group is not subscribed).

This was due to a recent change -- whenever a group changed level, it
would put a nil onto gnus-newsrc-alist, thereby making it invalid.

I've now pushed a fix for this to both emacs-27 and the trunk.

> Also, the .newsrc.eld file does not contain anything after the line
> showing the Gnus version number. This means that all existing
> subscriptions are lost after exiting emacs.

Geez!  I didn't see that problem -- I just got some extra nil entries at
the start of the gnus-newsrc-alist variable.  I hope there's a backup of
the file...