Re: how do i use nnir with notmuch?

From: Fraga, Eric
Subject: Re: how do i use nnir with notmuch?
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 06:50:23 +0000

On Thursday, 23 Jan 2020 at 19:43, physiculus wrote:
> i try to use notmuch with gnus for my nnmaildir. therefore i put notmuch
> inside default search engine.
> but unfortunately a query always result with empty results.
> does anybody knows if this engine works?

Yes, notmuch works, at least for nnml in my case.  You have to create
and update the search database using "notmuch new" periodically outside
gnus.  I use crontab for this.

Within gnus, you have to do something along these lines:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (require 'nnir)
  (push '(nnml . notmuch) nnir-method-default-engines)
  ;; the following turns off new behaviour that limited search to specific
groups
  (setq nnir-notmuch-filter-group-names-function nil)
#+end_src

Finally, you may have to define appropriate settings (e.g. the database)
in your ~/.notmuch-config configuration file.

HTH,
eric

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50 & org 9.3.1 on Debian bullseye/sid