Re: gnus-kill-newsgroup error

From: Richmond
Subject: Re: gnus-kill-newsgroup error
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2020 17:55:15 +0100

Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> Richmond <dnomhcir@gmx.com> writes:
>
>> Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

>>> That's a pretty old Emacs -- is there a chance you could upgrade to 26?
>>> 27 is almost out.
>> Probably but I am not sure I want to just yet. On the last system which
>> is now dead I did upgrade but it caused various other problems.

>>> So presumably this file is getting loaded somehow? I don't see that
>>> that's a standard filename of any sort. If you look at that file, what
>>> is that code a part of?
>> I don't think it is getting loaded, although it might be. But it was the
>> file which was called .gnu-emacs which I renamed to dotgnu-emacs so that
>> it wouldn't get used. (dot = . )
> If it's not getting loaded, I can't think of what else could be causing
> the problem. Unless you've got some old *elc files lying around from a
> the relevant locations, I'd say this file is still your culprit.
I have changed the permissions on the file to zero so that it could not
be loaded, but I didn't get any error.

I am not able to prove much now, one way or another, because I removed
and re-added the mozilla newsgroup.

I have an idea which is pure speculation that gnus had somehow recorded
its intention to kill some newsgroups because that's what I had been
doing - killing new groups which I had been subscribed to, using ctrl-k,
and so gnus was trying to finish this task on startup. But I can't see
how this would have been recorded anywhere without recording the name
"gnus-kill-newsgroup", unless it was encoded.