Re: ‘Reply’ vs ‘followup’

From: Alberto Luaces
Subject: Re: ‘Reply’ vs ‘followup’
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 16:14:13 +0200

Dmitry Alexandrov <dag@gnui.org> writes:

> Rafi Khan <rafi@rafikhan.io> wrote:
>> Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> writes:
>> 1. I am using Gmail as the backend and received Dmitry Alexandrov's reply in
>> my inbox, but for some reason your reply wasn't there.
>
> He have not addressed you for some reason, cf. ‘To’ and (absent) ‘Cc’ headers
> in his mail.  While they are merely informational, they are usually true.

Yes, I tend to not send personal copies to avoid cluttering the inbox of
the addressees, because they are usually following the list, after all.

Another side effect is that you can inadvertently reply also personally
to those emails, so the conversation will not be registered on the list,
nor the other participants will see it.

To reply this way (for example, this very message) I just press "F", as
Dmitry explains.

--
Alberto