Re: Error message Process nntpd not running

From: Pankaj Jangid
Subject: Re: Error message Process nntpd not running
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 16:27:58 +0530

Richmond <dnomhcir@gmx.com> writes:

> Since nntp.aioe.org has upgraded its system from debian 8 I have been
> getting this error when starting gnus:

> nntp (nntp.aioe.org) open error: ‘>>> (error Process nntpd not
> running)’.  Continue? (y or n) y

> However if I go to the server buffer and open the server it then works ok.
>
> What does this error mean? Is it a timing issue?

This error should be related to the back-end process. Does the problem
persists even after restarting Emacs? I face this issue with some IMAP
servers but not always. This is could be due to unreliable network. Due
to which the back-end process goes into stale state.

> I have
>
> (setq gnus-select-method
>     '(nntp "nntp.aioe.org"
>         (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-tls-stream)
>         (nntp-port-number 563)))
>
> (setq nntp-connection-timeout 240)

I have just the below setting in my config. And it is working fine.

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "nntp.aioe.org")) ; news

Could you please try removing the other params from your configuration
if the previously mentioned restart also doesn’t fix the issue.

I know "restart" is too much for an Emacs user. But I am just trying to
pin-point the cause.