Re: Mail source unreachable - continue yes/no?

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Mail source unreachable - continue yes/no?
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 19:56:49 +0200

> `nnmail-get-new-mail' is called from within `gnus-request-scan', and
> there's no error ignoring around `gnus-request-scan' in
> `gnus-get-unread-articles' -- is there? I can't see anything. I would
> propose removing error handling from `nnmail-get-new-mail-1': if the
> fetching of mail sources well and truly fails (and the user hits "no" to
> give up on the process), it should just signal an error up the line.

Yes, I think so...  but isn't there error handling in gnus-request-scan?
I really thought there was...

> I think nntp servers are louder than the others. When I hit "g" and the
> nntp connection times out, I get a "server closed connection" message,
> and the whole update process halts.

That sounds like a bug.  :-)  If I push, for instance

        (nntp "localhost")

to gnus-secondary-select-methods and hit g, I get an error message and
then the server is marked as "denied", but Gnus carries on its merry
way.  (Same if something times out or I hit `C-g' while it's connecting.)