Re: Where in gnus manual is info about timers

From: hput
Subject: Re: Where in gnus manual is info about timers
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 11:02:47 -0500

Bodertz <bodertz@gmail.com> writes:

> You might be looking for gnus-demon.

Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:

[...]

> Are you thinking of daemons, that can be used to do stuff when Emacs is
> inactive?
>
>  · https://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_119.html#Daemons

[...]

No wonder I wasn't finding it using `timer' to search . . .

Ok, now you've steered me to Lars' description... but being an elisp
ignoramus of long standing ... I'm drawing blanks about how to write
the handler I'm after.

First, understand, I have a continuous terrible time even using gnus
anymore.  It seems my connection to news.gmane.io is so tenuous that
if I read for even a minute my connection closes or stagnates or
something so if I try to move to another message in gnus it just draws
the `gnus busy' thing and no further action is possible until I close
and reopen the server.

Or, more accurately stated; closing the server prompts gnus to reopen
it I guess.

traceroute shows a long string or `* * *' in midst of tracing my route
to news.gmane.io .. I guess its bad enough that it has to be
constantly refreshed manually.

Makes it a real grind to use gnus.

Before Eric posted the code below:

 I'd have to go to server buffer and close then open the server.  Or
even restart gnus entirely with `R'.

some time ago:
Erica A;  on gmane.emacs.gnus.general posted this:

   (dolist (elem gnus-opened-servers)
     (gnus-close-server (car elem)))

If I eval that it will allow me to proceed in gnus in a few seconds.
But then when I read anything or pause a while it needs manual
attention again.

So, I think I would like to combine the `dolist' with a gnus-daemon-handler
similar to the example larsi gave:

(gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-demon-close-connections 30 t)

Long ago I had at least two daemon handlers in ~/.gnus but over time
I've lost track of them.

Just having a hell of a time figuring out how to combine a gnus daemon handler
with:

 (dolist (elem gnus-opened-servers)
  (gnus-close-server (car elem)))

Hopefully someone will be willing to take a stab at it and I can see how
to go about it.