info-mtools

[mtools] dir_len and FAT12

From: Mark Pulford
Subject: [mtools] dir_len and FAT12
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 13:32:26 +1030

Hi,

I'm using mformat to create a FAT12 floppy image for a simple OS I'm
writing and I'd like to keep the root directory down to 1 sector.
I've noticed that calc_fs_parameters() overrides the -r option for
known floppy geometries & FAT12.

Is there a reason for preventing single sector root directories on
floppies? Does anything other than 14 sectors cause compatibility
issues?

All of the documentation I've seen suggests that I should be able to
change dir_len freely, but I'd like to know if I'm getting myself into
trouble if I force it to use only a single sector ;).

Regards,
Mark