info-mtools

Re: [mtools] mtools on OS X

From: Robert Ewald
Subject: Re: [mtools] mtools on OS X
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 20:22:51 -0500

Ah, I get it now. The volume has to be unmounted or mtools complains, but it can't be ejected or the device node disappears. So:

Unmount: disktools -u disk2

mattrib...

Remount: disktools -m disk2
or Eject: disktools -e disk2

Thanks

On May 29, 2005, at 8:02 PM, David C Niemi wrote:

Rob,

For good or bad, Mtools does not require that a file system be mounted, and is unaware of mounts you may have done for the device. It tries to emulate the DOS way of doing things, in which you do not mount removeable media but just directly access them.

Mattrib is kind of a special case in that it does something unique that you may not be able to do through a filesystem.

Probably the simplest thing to do is to redefine your drive a: or b: in /etc/mtools.conf to point to the device your USB device shows up as, and then give a path under that drive letter to mattrib. Use a DOS file system, you end up with DOS semantics ;^)

If the device file varies unpredictably, I'm not quite sure how to handle that but there is probably some reasonable way.

DCN