info-sather

RFC: Generic Class Based Graph Library Design

From: Eray Ozkural
Subject: RFC: Generic Class Based Graph Library Design
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 22:25:49 +0300

Hi,

I'd like to consult to you on the design of a generic class
based graph library. I've previously written graph code in
C++ and Java, but I was not entirely satisfied with the
flexibility of the code, though performance was well tuned
for a heuristic algorithm in the C++ case.

I'd now like to come up with a more general library which
will replace the old code. As there is graph code in Sather,
I thought this might be good place to discuss the design
of a generic graph library. [The library will be released
under GPL]

I plan to use the library for
  * implementing fsm
  * heuristic clustering/partitioning algorithms
  * graph layout, etc.
So performance is crucial.

I want to make the library flexible and extensible while
retaining all the performance available to a C application.

I do have a design, but I'd like to pretend as if there
isn't one because I doubt that I might have wrong assumptions.

If you have any suggestions, I'd be pleased to hear them.

Looking forward to your comments,

--
Eray (exa) Ozkural
e-mail: address@hidden