info-sather

Re: gcc bug...

From: Norbert Nemec
Subject: Re: gcc bug...
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 09:06:17 +0100

On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 03:17:30AM +0000, dussault wrote:
> Now, I hit the SEGFAULT bug using GNUsather 1.2.1 about which I read
> without real concern a while ago. I understand that by switching from O2
> to O optimization in gcc fixes the bug (at some performance cost). Has
> anyone any further information about that? The gcc version distributed
> with RH7 is 2.96, and I even tried upgrade it to the latest available
> 2.96.69.

A while ago, I reported the bug, but even to my second Mail I did not receive
any answer. The bug was somehow connected to the optimization of local
variables that are only assigned and used once. Such "temporary" variables
are extremely common in the sacomp-produced code, and it seemed like gcc could
not handle that amount properly.

Maybe the bug has been fixed already. just try it by re-enabling the -O2
options. If the compiler is able to recompile itself at all, the problem
obviously has gone by now. Would be nice to get a report on the list about the
results.

Ciao,
Nobbi

--