info-sather

Re: Is Sather dead?

From: Keith Hopper
Subject: Re: Is Sather dead?
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 10:26:36 +1200

In article <address@hidden>,
   Lars Hupfeldt Nielsen <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,

> I believe that work continues at University of Waikato
> (http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/sather/).
> The current release 1.3 compiler is really too slow for any real work. I have
> no idea how work is currently progressing at Waikato.
> A lot of people think that Sather is one of the best languages designed so
> far, so lets hope that it has a future.

> Regards
> Lars Hupfeldt.

     Contrary to the above, work has had to stop here as we no longer have
man-hours to put into it.  I too am very disappointed - but that's how life
goes sometimes.  I don't honestly see anything more being done here in any
serious way unless a miracle happens.  I have been advised to cut my own
work drastically on medical grounds - one of the reasons why I put together
the tar balls which were so kindly put onto the GNU CVS site savannah.

     I still think it is the best thing since sliced bread.  Now that a lot
of the terrible uncertainty about "which way to go" for text/strings has
settled, the 'slowing down' complained of can probably be recouped by
redesigning/re-building all of the string stuff and a modest portion of the
cultural stuff in the Required Library to use UTF-8 (and UTF-16) making all
other encodings in this form.  It is not a trivial exercise - but does need
to be done.

     If this is my swan song in the Sather world - so be it.  I hope that
my health improves and lets me do some more some time!

                        Keith Hopper

--
City Desk
Waikato University