jailkit-users

[Jailkit-users] No Shell Prompt After Login

From: Alan V. Shackelford
Subject: [Jailkit-users] No Shell Prompt After Login
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 13:08:55 -0400

I have a new SGI Altix bundle running SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 for
Itanium. I have created a jail for my users, and have created around 10,000
user accounts using a script that basically adds a user, then jails the
user, then copies his homedir contents to the jail (that part of the
jk_jailuser script doesn't seem to work well). Here is the line from
/etc/passwd for a user:

aaarons1:x:1004:100::/chroot/./home/aaarons1:/usr/sbin/jk_chrootsh

And for the same user in the /chroot/etc/passwd:

aaarons1:x:1004:100::/home/aaarons1:/bin/bash

The bash shell exists at /bin/bash within the jail, and is world executable.
The home directories look fine in and out of the jail.

My problem is that when one of the users tries to login, they are challenged
for username and password, but after successfully completing this the screen
goes dead, and there is no shell prompt. The strangest part of this is that
when I log in it works fine. I am configured exactly the same as the users,
even down to group memberships, etc. I can't figure it out.

If I run `last` I can see the successful logins for the users, all with zero
time on line, but they are unable to get a shell. The LDAP server shows a
successful credentials check for each login, and the local pam logs show
failures for the deliberate password failures I have done during my
checking.

This one has me baffled. What have I left out to cause a shell prompt for my
users when they successfully pass the login?

Alan V. Shackelford              Manager of Enterprise Web Services
The Johns Hopkins University  /  Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions
Baltimore, Maryland USA        address@hidden       410-735-4773