jailkit-users

Re: [Jailkit-users] Best Method of Updating Jailed Executables & Libs?

From: Olivier Sessink
Subject: Re: [Jailkit-users] Best Method of Updating Jailed Executables & Libs?
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 07:57:23 +0200

Calvin Cannon wrote:
[..]
> Nearly all of my jails are identical in all respects.  Perhaps the
> update utility could run off of a config file that would define which
> files should be updated.  It would also be nice to be able to fine-tune
> things like chmod settings for individual files.  Some of my jailed
> files have chmod settings that are not the same as the host system.
>
> I'm envisioning a command line call something like this:
>
> jk_jailupdate <config-file> /full/path/2/jailA/root
> [/full/path/2/jailB/root] [etc...]
>     - and/or -
> jk_jailupdate -l <config-file> <jail-list>
>
> Some of this functionality might already exist simply by using basic
> command line tools with the current jk_ tools.  However, I /think /the
> current jk_ utilities will break my chmod settings if I don't re-set
> them manually.

so we need some options to control what will be updated:
- executables
- libraries (lib*.so)
- regular files

we also need options to control what will be updated:
- only the file content
- permissions

and we need options to specify where they will be updated (which jails)

I think for a utility like this is would be nice if it could be done
without config file. If you want to run it regularly you can always
store the options in a cron script.

regards,
        Olivier