jailkit-users

Re: [Jailkit-users] chroot Jail for Python

From: Gregory Piñero
Subject: Re: [Jailkit-users] chroot Jail for Python
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 13:16:13 -0400

Just curious, when will there be an official jailkit release that
includes jk_uchroot?

I'm just asking for my own curiousity, please don't think I'm rushing
you!  I know great work takes time, and I'm happy to live on the
development version.

-Greg

On 6/6/07, Olivier Sessink <address@hidden> wrote:
Gregory Piñero wrote:
> Well, there's a fakeroot (that you're talking about) and then there's
> a fakeCHroot which is the one I was talking about.  See what you think
> about the one I'm talking about: http://fakechroot.alioth.debian.org ?

oh sorry, missed that ;-)

fakechroot seems to work in the same way as fakeroot: it also replaces
the chroot() system call with a system call that doesn't need root
privileges and that 'fakes' it instead. See its man page: fakechroot is
a regular, non-setuid program. It does not enhance a user's privileges,
or decrease the system's security.

jk_uchroot is the real thing. it is a setuid binary that does the real
chroot() call and drops the root privileges afterwards. But it does
really give you more security. And you really need to be root to install it.

regards,
        Olivier