jailkit-users

Re: [Jailkit-users] chroot nxserver

From: Olivier Sessink
Subject: Re: [Jailkit-users] chroot nxserver
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 22:26:29 +0100

Hi wrote:

> I'm still working on where my missing var directory
> got to and now I dont' get as far in the login with a
> client.  I've botched the jk_jail user -j /home/jail
> nx command.  I was expecting to see the var directory.
> address@hidden nx]# jk_jailuser -m -j /home/jail nx
> home directory /home/jail/./var/lib/nxserver/home is
> already inside the jail
> address@hidden jail]# chroot /home/jail
> bash-3.1# ls
> bin  dev  etc  home  lib  proc  tmp  usr
>
> So where did it go an how can I remove nx user from
> jail to try again?

jk_cp only copies, jk_jailuser can actually remove files.

try to install again, and use jk_cp with -o to copy all required
binaries (if they are scripts, make sure that their interpreters are
also copied!! e.g. bash or perl or python might me required in the jail
too!). use jk_cp with -o to copy the required /var directories.

Now the home directory for user nx  exists in the jail, but /etc/passwd
is not yet updated, and user nx does not yet exist in <jail>/etc/passwd.

Now either manually edit both passwd files, or remove
<jail>/var/lib/nxserver/home and use jk_jailuser to move the user. Make
sure to set the same shell for user nx in the jail as the original shell
in /etc/passwd before you jail the account. (with the commercial
Nomachine product the shell inside the jail must be
/usr/NX/sbin/nxserver or something like that).

to test things you can (as root) chroot in the jail `chroot <jail>` and
then check if you can actually start the commands such as 'nxserver'
inside the jail.

regards,
        Olivier