jailkit-users

Re: [Jailkit-users] umask to allow group write

From: Olivier Sessink
Subject: Re: [Jailkit-users] umask to allow group write
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 08:58:27 +0100

On 03/17/2011 06:25 AM, Ben wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-03-16 at 21:27 +0100, Olivier Sessink wrote:
>> On 03/07/2011 05:42 PM, ben wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am trying to setup an scp/sftp only jail with a umask of 0707 (user
>>> and global no read/write access, group read/write access) so that people
>>> can upload files, but not access them once uploaded, however I cannot
>>> seem to get the jailkit to add write access to the group - it only seems
>>> to allow read access or no access, regardless of what I set the umask
>>> to.
>>
>> umask doesn't change the permissions of a user, it only changes the
>> default access rights of a file.
>>
>> Can you give a bit more detail on your configuration? Does this setup
>> work without a jail?
>>
>> Olivier
>
> I understand how umask works, setting it to 0707 would mean that when
> they upload the file, the permissions should be such that the user
> doesn't have any permissions, but the group does,

to my (perhaps limited) understanding this umask will make an app that
tries to create a file with 7777 permissions result in 0070 permissions
on the file, but an app that tries 0644 permissions it will result in
0040 on the file.

could this be the problem? that sftp or scp try 0644 permissions?

Olivier