jami

Re: [Ring] recover PIN

From: Simon Désaulniers
Subject: Re: [Ring] recover PIN
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2017 18:31:57 -0500

Hi Pedro,

> 1) I open the app on Android and get the screen
>  a) Link this device to an account
>  b) Create a ring account

This behavior is a sign that Ring doesn't find your account since it's not
brining your contacts list. It seems to me that between (i) and (ii), you may
have lost your account for some reason. If you can reproduce this, we would like
to know how. Then, you could file a bug[1].

> 2a) I would like to Link this device to an account - because I want to
> continue using my previous account/username 'pedrosilva'
>  - app asks me for the Password and 'Enter PIN'
>  - I know the password for my username 'pedrosilva' but I don't have any
>  PIN (it's random, I don't have to save it so why am I being asked about
>  it?)

According to what I said above, what you're explaining is an expected behavior,
i.e your account is lost, therefor your username also.

> (it's random, I don't have to save it so why am I being asked about
>  it?)

You're being asked for a PIN because you selected the option to "link a device
with an EXISTING account", but since you lost your account somehow, your account
doesn't exist because accounts *only* exist on devices you configured. There are
no central server for saving you accounts because Ring is distributed by design.

The only thing to do is to create another account. As soon as you have done
this, if you want to secure your account a bit more, I recommend you use another
device (your desktop, tablet, etc.) to link them to your account so that
together, your devices prevent your account from vanishing somehow. You can
refer to the GNU/Linux tutorial[2].

I hope this helps.

Regards,

[1]: https://tuleap.ring.cx/projects/ring/