jami

Re: [Ring] Screen reader accessibility issue in latest version from Ubun

From: Jeremy Lincicome
Subject: Re: [Ring] Screen reader accessibility issue in latest version from Ubuntu PPA
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2017 23:13:00 -0700

On 03/02/2017 03:15 PM, Stepan Salenikovich wrote:

----- On Mar 2, 2017, at 4:28 PM, Stepan Salenikovich address@hidden wrote:

----- On Feb 14, 2017, at 6:22 PM, Jeremy Lincicome address@hidden wrote:

Hi list,

I'm running the Orca screen reader on Ubuntu 16.10.

There's an issue when tabbing around the Ring window. When tabbing
around the window, Orca will suddenly stop speaking.

I'm not sure what's going on visually when this happens. I can recover
by using flat review and looking for the text label of the search box
and simulating a left click on it.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Launch Orca by pressing Alt+Super+s.

2. Launch Ring.

3. Press tab to move around the screen.

Eventually, Orca will stop reading to you.

4. To recover, use flat review to find the text that says "search" and
simulate a left click on it.

The flat review commands for Orca can be found at:

https://help.gnome.org/users/orca/stable/commands_mouse.html.en

Note:

When you launch Orca, you will be in desktop layout by default.

Thanks for looking into this.

Jeremy
It seems that after tabbing into the WebKitWebView (which is used to display
the chat) it does not change focus to the next widget when tabbing again.
Although
shift + tab works to leave it.

I've pushed a small patch for review which should fix this issue once it is
merged:
https://gerrit-ring.savoirfairelinux.com/#/c/6207/

I quickly tested with the screen reader enabled. Unfortunately I noticed that
the screen reader isn't able to read the chat messages which are in the WebView,
which I assume is the desired behaviour. I'm not sure if that is what happened
previously when we used the GtkTextView for it. Maybe its something that can
be easily fixed...

-stepan
Actually, I just realized that using Control + Tab and Control + Shift + Tab
seems
to work to navigate. Is this an acceptable solution for those using Orca?

My initial patch to fix the Tab and Shift+Tab not working was simply to disable
keyboard focus in the chat view, but I don't like this because then you can't
scroll using the arrow keys.

Stepan,
Control + Tab is an acceptable solution.
Also, to answer your question about chat, when gtk text view was used, chats
were readable.
Webkit and Orca don't always get along.
Webkit-gtk seams to work well... most of the time.

Thanks,
Jeremy