jami

Re: [Ring] [GNUnet-developers] / Question

From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira
Subject: Re: [Ring] [GNUnet-developers] / Question
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 15:34:45 -0300

That issue with battery consumption is indeed problematic.

I'm not an expert on network stuff, but I wonder if there is a way to
make a distinguished "packet" that tells GNUnet (or GNU Ring) the peer's
power level, power supply health (if applicable), and based on this,
transfer the "hard work" to more capable peers (this is based on [1]).

[1] <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6972>.

Christian Grothoff <address@hidden> writes:

> Well, I may be able to partially answer that question: Speaking for the
> GNUnet side, I personally simply don't think GNUnet is quite ready for
> GNU Ring at this time.
>
> Specifically, we need to make GNUnet easier to install and particular
> self-configuring in terms of the network stack (NAT traversal, etc.).
> For GNU Ring in particular, I've heard people being concerned about
> battery consumption, so we also need to work on the GNUnet-on-mobile
> scenario where peers can indicate that they are on a mobile phone and
> should not be routing traffic for others, least we drain people's
> batteries (and get terrible network performance on top of it).
>
> Once those things are fixed, I would hope the GNU Ring hackers will have
> time for a chat, and we'll find out if we could benefit from an
> integration. Until then, I would encourage them to prioritize other
> issues, even though I would of course like them to use GNUnet
> eventually.  Now, if someone wants to see that happen, I'd very much
> look forward for people helping out with the issues mentioned in the
> previous paragraph -- but note that none of them are doable quickly.

- https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com
  gratis).
- "WhatsApp"? Ele não é livre. Por favor, use o GNU Ring ou o Tox.
- Contato: https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno#vCard
- Arquivos comuns aceitos (apenas sem DRM): Corel Draw, Microsoft
  Office, MP3, MP4, WMA, WMV.
- Arquivos comuns aceitos e enviados: CSV, GNU Dia, GNU Emacs Org, GNU
  GIMP, Inkscape SVG, JPG, LibreOffice (padrão ODF), OGG, OPUS, PDF
  (apenas sem DRM), PNG, TXT, WEBM.