jami

Re: [Ring] Save an account on Linux

From: Adrien Béraud
Subject: Re: [Ring] Save an account on Linux
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2017 12:40:52 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,
Answer from Bill is right,

Note that it's now possible to import an "export.gz" file from the Gnome client directly.
Click on "link this device to an account" and select the export.gz file to re-import the account.

This file contains the account private key and is encrypted if the account is password-protected (strongly recommended but no longer enforced).
It's located at ~/.local/share/ring/{account}/export.gz.
Saving ~/.config/ring/ or the full content of ~/.local/share/ring/  is no longer necessary to backup/restore an account.

Importing an account archive will create a new device key pair for the imported account and will re-create an archive for the account in ~/.local/share/ring, encrypted with the same password (if any).

Regards,
Adrien