jessie-discuss

Re: [Jessie-discuss] Jessie and Sun JDK 1.5

From: Casey Marshall
Subject: Re: [Jessie-discuss] Jessie and Sun JDK 1.5
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 10:51:51 -0800

On Feb 13, 2007, at 6:22 AM, Armin Häberling wrote:

Hi,

Has anyone got Jessie running on Suns JDK 1.5?
In the FAQ it says that after uncommenting some code it should run with the Sun JDK. Before I myself try to do that, I want to ask, if anyone has already done that and got it running? And, that would be very nice, has someone created a patch with the changes for the Sun JDK?

Thanks in advance

No, I don't believe that Jessie will run on Java 5. Sun introduced some incompatible API changes in J2SE 5's javax.net.ssl package (mostly, they added methods to interfaces and/or added new abstract methods to abstract classes). I think the FAQ was referring to running Jessie on J2SE 1.4 (there were some differences in what the J2SE supported, and what free runtimes based on Classpath supported; these differences are gone now, AFAIK).

These changes are, on the whole, small, so it isn't that difficult to update Jessie for these changes, even if it is just to hack around them. Of course, you won't get an SSLEngine implementation in Jessie.

Jessie was merged into GNU Classpath <http://www.gnu.org/software/ classpath>, and the CVS version contains a Java 5-compatible SSL provider. I don't think anyone has tried using it on Sun's Java yet, but it should work.

The Classpath SSL provider is in the package gnu.javax.net.ssl.

Hope this helps.