js-shield

Update on Doxygen adventures

From: Ricardo Lafuente
Subject: Update on Doxygen adventures
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 10:55:45 +0100

Hi all, here's a rundown of our fights with Doxygen so far.

So, our ideal situation would be to use Doxygen for the whole site -- Libor has been using it effectively for the non-technical part of the docs (and a blog!) which was a revelation to us. So we set out to see how Doxygen can be twisted to use different layouts and allow deeper customization.

However, after a lot of experimentation and doc reading, we found that Doxygen only supports adding custom headers and footers -- the HTML templates themselves are not exposed to the user and cannot be overridden.

So our way out seems to be to make a custom Doxygen build with our templates. It sounds overkill, but we couldn't find a way that's less complex. There are a few libraries that can extract JS comments, but the Doxygen syntax is not rendered and we'd have to write a parser for those.

Maybe you know of a saner approach? We can discuss this tomorrow in our call.