js-shield

Re: DRAFT of PR publication from FSF

From: Ruben
Subject: Re: DRAFT of PR publication from FSF
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 20:48:22 +0200

It seems like I didn't share the last version of the text. The last
version is mostly a rewrite of paragraphs 2-3 and some reorganizing:

BOSTON, Massachusetts, USA -- FIXME DAY, DATE -- The Free Software
Foundation (FSF) today announced the start of development on JavaScript
Shield, an anti-malware Web browser extension to mitigate potential
threats from JavaScript, including fingerprinting, tracking, and data
collection. The project is supported by NLnet Foundation's NGI Zero
Privacy & Trust Enhancing Technologies fund. Collaborators include Libor
Polčák and Bednář Martin (Brno University of Technology), Giorgio Maone
(NoScript), and Ana Isabel Carvalho and Ricardo Lafuente (Manufactura
Independente). The JavaScript Shield extension is projected for release
in the third quarter of 2021.

Most modern websites contain a growing number of programs that the
user's browser download and run automatically as each new page is
loaded. While these JavaScript programs can provide functionality to a
site, they also carry issues of software freedom (due to their licenses)
and of privacy and security (due to the actions those programs could
take). The FSF addressed the licensing side of those issues with the
"Free JavaScript Campaign[]" to encourage web developers to publish
their scripts as free software, and the GNU LibreJS [footnote 1] browser
extension which allows the user to run only free scripts. Now the FSF is
targeting the other side of the problem by introducing the JavaScript
Shield browser extension, aimed to limit the potential for JavaScript to
do harmful actions.

Accessing cookies, performing fingerprinting to track users across
multiple sites, revealing the local network address, or capturing the
user's input before they submit a form are some examples of JavaScript's
capabilities that can be used in harmful ways. JavaScript Shield adds a
safety layer that allows the user to choose if a certain action should
be forbidden on a site, or if it should be allowed with restrictions,
such as reducing the precision of geolocation to the city area. This
layer can also aid as a countermeasure against attacks targeting the
browser, operating system or hardware levels.

The JavaScript Shield project is a freely licensed, anti-malware browser
extension to combat, and protect against, potential threats from
JavaScript, either in combination with the previously developed GNU
LibreJS and other script blockers, or on its own. The project's
repository is at https://pagure.io/JS-Shield/JS-Shield. It will ask --
globally or per site -- if specific native functions provided by the
JavaScript engine and the Document Object Model (DOM) are allowed by the
user. It will also link to an explanatory page for each function, to
raise awareness of related threats. Depending on the function being
addressed, the user will have the option to allow it, block it, or have
it return a custom value. This extension will help protect users from
critical threats now, and contribute significantly to progress on the
necessary longer-term cultural shift of moving away from nonfree JavaScript.

"This is a project I've been looking forward to for years, tired of
dealing with all kinds of potential antifeatures in the browsers I use
and distribute, and having to figure out some countermeasure for them
with configuration changes, patches or extensions," shared Ruben
Rodriguez, FSF chief technology officer. "Being able to wrap the
JavaScript engine in a layer of protection is a game changer."

FSF executive director, John Sullivan: "Besides providing much-needed
protection for users, this extension will help the FSF demonstrate the
power and usefulness of free 'as in freedom' software, serving as a
conversation starter about the importance of all free software and the
dangers of nonfree software while using the Web. We thank NLnet
Foundation for recognizing the importance of free software and investing
in the FSF's strategy for free JavaScript on the Web."

FIXME -- NLNET QUOTE

The FSF has been campaigning to free all JavaScript on the Web since
2013, and as part of this effort continues to support the development of
GNU LibreJS, in addition to outreach to users and developers about the
issue of freedom on the Web. Once developed, JavaScript Shield will form
a core part of the FSF's general recommendations for how to use the Web
without ethical compromise. In conjunction with a fully free
distribution of the GNU/Linux operating system and a free BIOS, it will
help users move toward the FSF's vision of a world where computing
upholds, rather than diminishes, their individual rights.

    The GNU LibreJS extension, sponsored by the Free Software
Foundation, detects JavaScript and allows you to choose to run only
JavaScript distributed under a free software license, thus enabling
users to browse the Web in full freedom. However, that extension only
works to identify nonfree licensing and does not address the
functionality of those scripts.

About the Free Software Foundation

[...]

--
Ruben Rodriguez | Chief Technology Officer, Free Software Foundation
GPG Key: 05EF 1D2F FE61 747D 1FC8  27C3 7FAC 7D26 472F 4409