js-shield

Re: An interesting (probably) fingerprinting technique that should fail

From: Bednář Martin
Subject: Re: An interesting (probably) fingerprinting technique that should fail with NBS
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2021 13:25:02 +0200

Hello all,

I have done several experiments and I can confirm that the Network Boundary Shield (NBS), which is a part of the JavaScript Restrictor, can prevent port scanning performed by eBay.com. I would like to summarize my experiments in this email.

First of all, I can confirm that eBay.com really performs port scanning on localhost. This can be seen in the captured traffic on figure 1 in the attachment to this e-mail.

When the NBS is enabled, this port scanning is not successful, because requests to localhost are blocked by NBS and a user is informed of suspicious behavior. You can see this notifications on figure 2 in the attachment to this e-mail.

The last step is to send information about open ports to the eBay server. Here, my experience differs from the information provided in the article. I think eBay has changed the way of sending information about open ports. The current version of this requirement, you can see in Figure 3 in the attachment to this e-mail. Number of params has changed. And now, all params are encrypted. I was not able to decrypt the parameters in query, but I am convinced that the information about open ports is returned in this request.

That's all from my side. Have a nice weekend,

Martin Bednář
Faculty of Information Technology
Brno University of Technology