js-shield

Road to 0.7

From: Libor Polčák
Subject: Road to 0.7
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2022 13:16:50 +0100

Hello,

The devel0.7 branch contains the extension that is likely close to what we will
ship as 0.7 (see https://pagure.io/JShelter/webextension/tree/devel0.7). We
call wrappers Javascript Shield, there is the ability to tweak the level for
each page, disable JS Shield per domain, the tweaking code is shared between
options (new level, JS Shield details) and popup. Please have a look and test
before we release. See build instruction -
https://pagure.io/JShelter/webextension/blob/devel0.7/f/website/content/pages/build.md,
 note the change of the target zip file due to rebranding. I think that the
interface needs some polishing but that can be done on the fly, help
appreciated.

Note that the update mechanism will modify your custom levels. So if you want
to try with a profile that you will run 0.6.x again, please archive your
settings in advance and restore when you are done with trying 0.7. (See
advanced options.)

Michael could some native speaker go through the tweaks descriptions either
directly in the UI or in
https://pagure.io/JShelter/webextension/blob/devel0.7/f/common/levels.js#_55
(params properties between line 55 and 551. You can also go through label,
description and description2.

A user can still define new levels and apply them in the pop up or options. I
am not sure that it is understandable for the users but let's keep it for now.

We currently have 4 built-in levels:

* L0: no protection by the extension
* L1: poorly thought level with some protection applied, I am unsure if I can
recommend this level to anyone
* L2: based on farbling by Brave, tries to create a unique fingerprint
* L3: strict, all protection on, also those that are known to be broken (XHR,
ArrayBuffers)

I propose to keep L0 and L2, get rid of L1, and create two new levels based on
L3:

* LO is renamed to OFF
* L2 is renamed to White lies or Recommended
* Strict will carry protections from L3 that are known to work, very likely: {
        "builtin": true,
        "level_id": L3,
        "level_text": "High",
        "level_description": "High level of protection",
        "time_precision": 3,
        "htmlcanvaselement": 2,
        "audiobuffer": 2,
        "webgl": 2,
        "plugins": 3,
        "enumerateDevices": 3,
        "hardware": 3,
        "webworker": 2,
        "geolocation": 6,
        "physical_environment": 1,
        "gamepads": 1,
        "vr": 1,
        "analytics": 1,
        "battery": 1,
        "windowname": 1,
};
* Experimental level will be a copy of current L3.

Please, let me know if you have any comments.

Libor