js-shield

Development meeting 2023-01-31

From: Michael McMahon
Subject: Development meeting 2023-01-31
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 11:42:49 -0500

* Grants (Development/Design)
  * NLnet
    - In-progress. Waiting to hear back.
* New funding opportunity from Open Technology Fund called the ‘Free and Open Source Software’ Sustainability Fund - Blog: https://www.opentech.fund/news/open-technology-fund-announces-free-and-open-source-software-sustainability-fund/
    - Video: https://vid.puffyan.us/watch?v=Nvtf-Tm-6sk
- Other 4 other funding opportunities from them: https://www.opentech.fund/funds/
    - Started experimental round with 4 projects.
    - First call for submissions will be late summer around July.
    - Learned about this from the OTF Summit.
- Must be alive for 3 three years. First version of JSRestrictor in 2019 so we should be eligible.
  * HORIZON
    - Reviewing eligibility.
  * Be on the lookout for other grant opportunities.

- Speaking (Development/Design)
  - LibrePlanet 2023 (March 18-19, 2023)
    - https://libreplanet.org/2023/
    - Submitted.
  - SECRYPT 2023 (July 10-12, 2023) Rome, Italy
    - https://secrypt.scitevents.org/
    - Submitted.

* Manifest V3 (Development)
* Simeon Vincent DevRel Engineer on Chrome has been recently laid off by Google. He was the main person in charge of community communication with web extension developers. Not sure what this will mean for us yet. * Looked into Firefox implementation of Manifest V3. Mozilla implements a new complication with the way that it handles the background page. Will need more research. * Will start working on other tasks that we put into the proposal such as i18n. Not sure how we can help otherwise. * Focusing on the script injection machinery. The new API is quite stable and needed by NoScript. Working on that in the NSCL.
  * Let us know if there is anything that we can help with at this point.

* Next meeting (Development/Design)
* Development meeting Jan 31st same time and repeating every two weeks from this point. * No meeting on Tue March 14th (Pi Day). We can schedule a meeting closer to that date.