k-mib-ppc

[K-mib-ppc] Question about SCSI (external 25-pin).

From: Dot Liu
Subject: [K-mib-ppc] Question about SCSI (external 25-pin).
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 10:53:13 -0800 (PST)

Hi All,
   I tried connecting a 50-pin SCSI hard drive via a 50-to-25-pin
   connector that came with an Iomega SCSI Zip drive. I connected
   all this to the back 25-pin external SCSI connector of the
   PowerMacintosh 4400 and tried it out. The device was recognised,
   but writing to it from MacOS (to format it) got hung.

   I tried the same drive, by connecting it instead to the end of
   the SCSI chain, after pulling off the scsi ribbon cable from
   the inside of the 25-pin external port. There, I have a 50-pin
   ribbon cable, and I connected it to the drive, and tried again.
   This time, everything works fine, and the drive behaves normally,
   and can be formatted and everything under MacOS, and also can
   be accessed fine using linux.

   One doubt I have, should I be using the TERM jumper on the drive,
   when it's connected to the 25-pin external? How is it that traditional
   external SCSI devices on a Macintosh are supposed to be connected?
   Especially, as most devices are 50-pin nowadays, how am I supposed
   to connect to the 25-pin external interface of the Macintosh?

   I hope I am not sending you back to ancient history books
   to answer my question :)
Cheers,
Peter.