koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Reports engine

From: Trevor Jenkins
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Reports engine
Date: Tue Jul 15 08:22:08 2003

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Pierre Cauchois <address@hidden> wrote:

> Thanks for your answers. I've looked to everything you suggested, but
> many of the solutions were in Java, Pascal, or even worse, proprietary
> software.

The use of Java isn't so bad. But I was concerned to see the
Kylix/Delphi/Pascal suggestion.

> ... It can be a good example for a front-end, but i think that
> it's for the best if the engine is directly integrated in Koha,

There are several open source report writers. Incoprorating theminto Koha
might prove to be a better solution. Here's some URLs form my bookmarks.

http://datavision.sourceforge.net/             Uses Ruby
http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/timc/gurgle/     Uses C/C++
http://agata.codigolivre.org.br/               Uses PHP/Tk

> therefore to use a backend in Perl, and a frontend with templates, with
> export possibilities (rss, csv, etc).

A search of cpan.org found me several Perl-specific report writer modules
that already have hooks into Perl DBI.  Using one of those would surely be
better than starting from scratch.  Then effort could be put into
providing a sensible web interface.

Regards, Trevor

<>< Re: deemed!