koha-devel

[Koha-devel] killer feature ?

From: paul POULAIN
Subject: [Koha-devel] killer feature ?
Date: Fri Oct 17 02:29:13 2003

Hi,

I spoke with Rachel yesterday, and we spoke of something the could be a "killer feature" in Koha.
In google, when you type a word wrong and get no or few answers, google says "you could also try somethingAlmostSame" the SomethingAlmostSame being in the DB.

In Koha, we could add this feature really easily (1 SQL query get the answer :-) ).
I did some testing with the following SQL (on Dombes Abbey DB) :
SELECT count( * ) AS total, word FROM marc_word
WHERE sndx_word = soundex( "Raner" ) AND word <> "Raner"
GROUP BY word ORDER BY total DESC

It answers :
total word
83 Rahner
1 rumeur
rahner being the right author name :-)

another test (with "Jésu", instead of Jésus) :
245 Jésus
182 Jacques
178 JEA
18 José
15 JOU
12 Joie

Note :
1- the SQL query is indexed, so very fast.
2- the major problem being to add this possibility when the search returns less than X results (important GUI coding imho)

What do you think of this idea ? Anyone volunteer ?
--
Paul POULAIN