koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] z39.50 client: extended services

From: Thomas D
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] z39.50 client: extended services
Date: Wed Jul 20 16:34:03 2005

Quoting MJ Ray <address@hidden> :
> ---------------- Beginning of the original message ------------------

[snip]

> It seems rather fiddly to debug IMO. Basically, one watches
> the z3950*
> tables and the daemon's logfile and see what it's saying as a
> query is
> submitted.
>
> Even so, I still had one of my client libraries banned from a
> z3950
> server following undetected problems and repeated requests
> that were
> more-or-less a denial of service attack.

Being banned from a Z39.50 server could be a very serious problem.  I have
often wondered about the risks entailed in establishing permanent
connections to a Z39.50 server when the process might run unattended.  One
does not want the query to fail before it is finished fetching the records,
however.  A user settable timeout function as a fail safe might avoid some
risks of an unattended process.  One would want to close a Z39.50 connection
that had run for too long a time or stop and restart the Z39.50 daemon if a
connection had been open too long.

[snip]

Thomas D

Protect your mails from viruses thanks to Alinto Premium services
http://www.alinto.com