koha-translate

[Koha-translate] Norwegian translation of Koha

From: Axel Bojer
Subject: [Koha-translate] Norwegian translation of Koha
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 12:42:10 +0200

On 2007-08-20 20:50 Joshua M. Ferraro wrote:
> We're pretty close to a release of 3.0, though in the next month or so
> there will be at least some changes to the HTML markup which will
> affect translation. The 3.0 markup represents a fairly drastic change
> from the 2.2 series so I'm afraid that translations of 2.2.x won't be
> that useful.
(...)
> There's another, separate issue not mentioned yet, which is
> translation of the MARC frameworks, including authorities control and
> bibliographic entries (essentially, these are labels of the MARC tags
> and subtags that a cataloger uses). That adds about 1,500 additional
> lines.

We have good news from Norway:
NUUG ( Norwegian Unix User group, http://nuug.no/ ) have agreed to pay two translators to translate koha into norwegian (bokmål, by the way, we also have nynorsk :-). So now the next question is:

How far has the translation files for Koha 3.0 come by now? As quoted above, they ought to be in good shape now, but, well, delays seems to happen, so: How is the status by now? Is it advisable and possible to start translating koha 3.0 already now or will there be major changes that will render our work (partly) useless?

I also wonder how difficult it will be to make a local build with our translations? My experiences with other translation project (Scribus, OOo, KDE) shows me that it is essential to be able to look at what you have actually committed. Often it is impossible to know exactly how to translate a spesific phrase without knowing how this function works and/or what the GUI looks like. It will therefore be important for us to be able to make our own localised builds continuously to see the changes and the results.

And third: If all the other questions are answered with «GO FOR IT (NOW)», then: Is it possible to put the needed files out on the net like this:
http://translate.koha.org/use.php?lg=en

or do you have pot- and po-files ready for us?

And, finally, what about the mentioned «MARC frameworks», are there any ready made translation files for them?

Best regards
Axel Bojer
Norwegian translator