Re: Mach emulation

From: OKUJI Yoshinori
Subject: Re: Mach emulation
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 21:47:38 +0900

From: Farid Hajji <address@hidden>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 03:21:29 +0100

> The emulation library should only contain the mach syscalls that are
> used either directly in the (non-glibc) Hurd code or that are needed
> by the hurd sysdeps in glibc itself. Such mach syscalls could cache
> some requests and relay the rest to l4-mach.

  Exactly.

> Mach tasks and threads should then be mapped 1:1 to L4 tasks and threads
> (even if their number is severly limited on L4).

  That's good, since that's intuitive.

> What are you thinking about cthreads? Should they be reimplemented in
> the emulation library + l4-mach as-is (to keep modifications to the
> Hurd sources to a bare minimum), or should we transition the Hurd to
> pthreads API first, and write a pthread N:M thread multiplexing library
> for Mach and L4 before starting the emulator+l4-mach work?

  Currently, I want to make required modification as little as
possible. It is also a good thing to implement POSIX threads library
for Hurd, but this is not what I want to do at the moment. Of course,
if someone wants to work on pthreads, I won't choke it off, though.

Okuji