Re: Hurd/Mach on L4

From: Farid Hajji
Subject: Re: Hurd/Mach on L4
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 21:05:16 +0200 (CEST)

> I followed the Sawmill/Mach/L4 thread awhile back and have just
> revisited it. I'm interested in trying my hand at some of the
> L4/Mach/Hurd work that was being proposed.
>
> Is anyone currently working on a way of porting Hurd to work with L4,
> using any of the methods described previously?
As proposed in TODO v0.0, we first need a generic pager including
a library of accessor vm_*() functions. This pager could be useful
to _all_ OS personalities, including the Hurd. No-one has volunteered
yet with this.

The second pressing point is to write/port a very small subset of device
drivers to L4. We need a native L4 driver for ATAPI (or SCSI?) disks,
so that the pager can use a real disk as backing store, and so that
we can port a filesystem as well ;). Here too, no-one volunteered yet.

> If not, does anyone have some pointers on where to start?
Please refer to TODO v0.0 posted earlier on this list (no objections
appeared here yet). We can discuss pager and driver issues here on
l4-hurd directly. It would be great to get that project going ;-).

Regards,

-Farid.

--
Farid Hajji -- Unix Systems and Network Admin | Phone: +49-2131-67-555
Broicherdorfstr. 83, D-41564 Kaarst, Germany  | address@hidden