Re: Did I hear you folks might be interested in POSIX threads?

From: Farid Hajji
Subject: Re: Did I hear you folks might be interested in POSIX threads?
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 17:20:25 +0100 (CET)

> I'm the maintainer of NGPT.  NGPT is a POSIX compliant (95%) replacement
> library for LinuxThreads that is fully integrated with glibc and is also
> binary compatible where possible (POSIX wins ;-).  I was wondering you folks
> might be interested in a port to the Hurd?  Thanks.
l4-hurd would be very interested in a Pthreads library running on top of
native L4 threads. As soon as the new L4-API (X.2 a.k.a. Version 4) is
publicly released, we'll be able to asses the need for porting NGPT to L4.

How portable would NGPT be outside of glibc? Currently, L4 developers
rely upon OSKit's FreeBSD derived libc_r for pthreads functionality
(unless they're using L4Linux). Since a port of glibc to L4 is nearly
unthinkable at the moment, it would be very important for us to be able
to use NGPT even without glibc. Would this be possible?

>      Bill Abt
>      Senior Software Engineer
>      Next Generation POSIX Threading for Linux
>      IBM Cambridge, MA, USA 02142
>      Ext: +(00)1 617-693-1591
>      T/L: 693-1591 (M/W/F)
>      T/L: 253-9938 (T/Th/Eves.)
>      Cell: +(00)1 617-803-7514
>      address@hidden or address@hidden
>      http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/pthreads

Thanks,

-Farid.

--
Farid Hajji -- Unix Systems and Network Admin | Phone: +49-2131-67-555
Broicherdorfstr. 83, D-41564 Kaarst, Germany  | address@hidden