Re: currency based virtual memory

From: Neal H. Walfield
Subject: Re: currency based virtual memory
Date: 02 Nov 2002 11:20:25 -0500

> If we buy into the theory that economic models is a good way to do
> distributed resource optimization (I don't really know the theory, but
> I think the trick is to formulate an optimization problem with
> constraints, and then interpret the lagrange multipliers in the
> solution as prices), then interests seem quite natural.

Here are a few references for related work done on the market based
approach to resource management:

 - An Economic Approach to Adaptive Resource Management by Neil
   Strarford and Richard Mortier available at:
   http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/367323.html

 - Market-Oriented Programming: Some Early Lessons by Michael
   P. Wellman available at:
   http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/wellman95marketoriented.html

 - Some Issues in the Design of Market-Oriented Agents by Tracy Mullen
   and Michael P. Wellman available at:
   http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/mullen96some.html

> However, as I understand Neal's model, processes buy contracts for
> memory for some period of time, and if it's possible to buy
> longer-term contracts, that opens up possibilities for speculation
> and interest loans, even if the central memory server doesn't
> implement interests.

With respect to the allocation memory allocation policy, I have not
gotten far enough in my research to either say this is or this is not
my model: the market based approach is only an idea, but one that I
think would certainly be interesting to explore in more depth.