Re: auth handshake and rendevouz objects

From: Tom Hart
Subject: Re: auth handshake and rendevouz objects
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 11:15:51 -0600

Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 05:32:34PM +0100, Niels Möller wrote:
Marcus Brinkmann <address@hidden> writes:
Well, one question is surely resource allocation.  I think A should provide
the resource to S that contains the note that B should get a reference to
the handle.
Hmm. Sounds a little hairy. I think one would really want the
following protocol:

1. A->B:    I'd like to give you the handle (S,x).
2.  B->S:   Gimme handle x. A said I could have it.
3.   S->A:  Do you really want to give x to B?
4.   A->S:  Sure.
5.  S->B:   Ok, here's the handle.
6. B->A:    Thanks, I've got it now.

Except that there's one S->A message, 3, and you say you'd like to
avoid that. I'd be a little surprised if one can come up with an
alternative that avoids both the callback from S to A, and state in S.

I'm sure I'm being stupid, here, but is there any way that A can return a digitally-signed token to B, so that the protocol becomes:

1. A->B:     I'd like to give you the handle (S,x); here's an
                authorization token.
2. B->S:     Gimme handle x. Here's a digitally-signed token from A.
3. S checks the digital signature that B passed it, and confirms that
it came from A.
4. S->B:     Ok, here's the handle.
5. B->A:     Thanks, I've got it now.

This would, of course, require the servers to have a public-key database in local storage, to avoid an RPC call to a public-key server.

Again, I'm sure I'm being stupid here, but I wanted to throw the idea out there, just in case.

  /  Tom Hart                                      |
 |   address@hidden                          |
  \  "rmTFM - Build consistent interfaces."        |